Earth connection

How many times since buying & moving to Puglia have you said:- 'I wish I had known that before' or 'Why wasn't I informed about ???' How much easier would your life be now, if only you had been given that little bit of extra information. PLEASE, do not use this section to name and have a go at anyone, but the collective information we now have might just help any newcomers to ASK THE RIGHT QUESTIONS. Your comments could be as simple as: I wish I had known that you can't buy 'MARMITE' to. My agent didn't tell me I could never get a new phone line, or whatever other comments that would have made your life that little bit easier.

Earth connection

Postby Paul N » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:43 am

Many rural properties in Italy don't have an electrical earth connection, and it isn't required by regulation. If you want one, you may have to provide your own. Guess what my next project will be!
Paul N
Liberto

Re: Earth connection

Postby getstuckin » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:27 am

we just changed the plug sockets to the ones with switches ...so nothing gets blown.
getstuckin
Tribune

Postby Paul N » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:33 pm

Yes I know I could... everythings double insulated. But my dad used to teach Electrical Engineering, and while plumbing in the washing machine I can hear his disapproving voice tut-tutting at my lack of sensible precautions. The electrical earth is going to have to go in.
Paul N
Liberto

Postby Paul N » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:52 pm

I bought a huge alloy earth spike for 7 euros in Ostuni, and have installed an earth cable at least so far as the fridge freezer, water pump, and washing machine sockets. I aim to extend this back to the main fuse board, put in earth leakage circuit breakers, and rewire the whole place in 3 core cable. The 'mains' cable there at present looks like 2 core speaker cable, and is secured to the wall with (yes, metal) nails between the two insulated strands.
Paul N
Liberto

Return to I just wish I'd been told that.....??????